History of the buildings
The first St James Church building (now demolished) was consecrated on Sunday 3 October 1841 and at that time was a chapelry district of St Mary’s , Portsea. The independent parish of Milton was created by an Order in Council on 8 November 1844. The parish boundaries then stretched from Southsea Castle in the west to Wymering in the north. The vast building that ensued in Portsmouth over the coming decades meant that further parishes were created leaving St James the church for the areas known as Milton and Eastney. A parish in area now half the size of its original creation.